Cosmetic Dentistry > Teeth Whitening
Tooth whitening has become one of the most popular ways to improve your smile by lightening the existing shade of your natural teeth. This is a simple and effective treatment. Tooth whitening is non-invasive treatment that does not involve drilling or removal of the tooth surface.
There are many reasons why your teeth can become discoloured, including:
- Drinking tea, coffee or red wine
- Eating food with strong colourings, such as curries
- The natural act of ageing
- A tooth which is damaged by trauma
- Some teeth are naturally pigmented or stained as they develop
- Certain medications
Only natural teeth respond to tooth whitening, crowns, bridges, dentures or implants cannot be whitened.
Tooth whitening gel is a peroxide-based compound that penetrates the holes removing the stains and lightening the teeth. Tooth whitening using 10% carbamide peroxide gels has a track record of over 20 years safe use. Some dentists offer in surgery whitening using more powerful peroxide gels with light activation, but they more often result in increased sensitivity and for the result to become long lasting it is more often than not backed up with home whitening.
Your dentist will arrange for you to have a consultation appointment, where your teeth and gums will examined, you can then discuss which of the tooth whitening option would be best for you.
At Archway Dental Practice we feel the safest and most predictable way of whitening teeth with minimal chance of sensitivity is using Home Whitening with 10% carbamide peroxide gel in custom fitted whitening trays.
Your dentist will provide you with the whitening kit which contains custom made whitnening trays and a carbamide peroxide gel.
- An impression (mould) is taken of your teeth using special dental putty. The putty is placed into an impression tray; they are both then inserted into your mouth and pushed onto your teeth in order to take an impression. Once the dental putty is set the impression will be removed.
- The moulds are sent to the dental laboratory where our technician will fabricate your custom made whitening trays. These trays are very unobtrusive and comfortable.
- In the comfort of your home at your convenience you wear the carefully loaded trays for between 2 – 3 hours a day.
- Home whitening generally takes between 2 and 4 weeks to achieve the desired shade improvement.
The degree of whitening will vary from patient to patient, greyer teeth can take longer to respond. Tooth whitening is not permanent; the whitening process will need to be repeated every 12 – 18 months to keep your teeth at the shade you desire.
To book your Teeth Whitening appointment please call us on 01453 760 330 or fill out the form on our Contact Us page and we will get back to you with an available time for your appointment.